Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lex71037

If me and my wife are the only members in our multi-member LLC can we file it as a disregarded entity? Do we have to file as a partnership?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If me and my wife are the only members in our multi-member LLC can we file it as a disregarded entity? Do we have to file as a partnership?

It depends on what state you live in.

If you do not live in a community property state, the multi-member LLC has to be treated as a partnership. The LLC has to file a partnership tax return, Form 1065, separate from your personal Form 1040 tax return.

If you and your wife are the only members of the LLC, and you live in a community property state, you can choose to treat the LLC as either a disregarded entity or a partnership. To treat it as a disregarded entity, you must both hold your interests in the LLC as community property. If you choose to treat it as a disregarded entity you and your wife would each file a Schedule C for your respective shares of the business income and expenses.

The community property states are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies