Solved: If I report my single-member LLC as disposed of (abandoned) for 2017, can I claim income/expenses in a future tax year if the business becomes active again?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I report my single-member LLC as disposed of (abandoned) for 2017, can I claim income/expenses in a future tax year if the business becomes active again?

Started business in 2015, but have been operating at a loss each year. Due to the lack of activity, I ended all outstanding operating expenses in 2017 to save money. I want to put the business "on hold" but I may try investing time and resources into it again in the future.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I report my single-member LLC as disposed of (abandoned) for 2017, can I claim income/expenses in a future tax year if the business becomes active again?

You can "restart" a sole-proprietorship (single-member LLC)  business any time you like. 

If you "disposed" of the business properly in TurboTax, you'll have to enter it as a "new" business (Schedule C) on your tax return, to include entering any depreciable business assets you have. 

How do I delete a prior-year Schedule C business that transferred over?

(Depending on your local tax jurisdiction, you may have business registration and licensing requirements even for a single-member LLC).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can "restart" a sole-proprietorship (single-member LLC)  business any time you like. 

If you "disposed" of the business properly in TurboTax, you'll have to enter it as a "new" business (Schedule C) on your tax return, to include entering any depreciable business assets you have. 

How do I delete a prior-year Schedule C business that transferred over?

(Depending on your local tax jurisdiction, you may have business registration and licensing requirements even for a single-member LLC).

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings