Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have a W2 from an employer and a W2 from an S-Corp I am partners in, does the S-Corp need to pay SSN tax once I hit the max?

I am curious because if I was issued a 1099 from the s-corp, I would owe self employment tax up until I hit the max and then I would only owe the medicare.  This extra 6.2% that my company would have to pay if I were on a W2 doesn't seem to make sense.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I have a W2 from an employer and a W2 from an S-Corp I am partners in, does the S-Corp need to pay SSN tax once I hit the max?

Sorry but the S-corp must continue to pay the SS taxes until you hit the SS limit for that business ... only the individual gets the excess SS refunded on their personal return ... but the business doesn't get that tax break as much as it would make sense your way. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Sorry but the S-corp must continue to pay the SS taxes until you hit the SS limit for that business ... only the individual gets the excess SS refunded on their personal return ... but the business doesn't get that tax break as much as it would make sense your way. 

This is what I thought.  It is an odd situation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies