Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I annualize my self-employment income, but contribute to 401k at the end of the year, can I deduct my contributions from my annualized AGI?

Hi,
I had self-employment income in the first quarter of tax year 2023. I did not make any estimated tax payments. In early 2024, I am contributing this income as elective deferral to individual 401k account. When I annualize my income, can I report the self-employment income from the first quarter of 2023 as 0 given that the entire amount is being contributed to the pretax 401k account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I annualize my self-employment income, but contribute to 401k at the end of the year, can I deduct my contributions from my annualized AGI?

• If you earned self employment income and had to pay self employment taxes . Then you contributed to your 401k with the remains. You have to recognize the taxes on self employed work which is your social security tax and Medicare tax . 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The 401K contribution does not offset the self-employment income in the first quarter for the annualized income method. This is especially true because you are making the contribution after the end of the related tax year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies