Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've started construction (in Mexico) for a small Family water park, the expense to operate/build exceeds the monthly/yearly income. how to report in USA?

it will take 10 years overall construction of the park, started construction 2021, it has been influx of capital from my part every month to keep construction and operation going, buying/paying for licenses, permit, architectural, construction/ops teams materials, goods etc...minimal income (covers goods but not any type of wages or materials for construction or Operation)
question is how to report on my USA tax report as I work in USA but am creating this water park in Mexico that eventually will create profits.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've started construction (in Mexico) for a small Family water park, the expense to operate/build exceeds the monthly/yearly income. how to report in USA?

seek professional help.    for US tax purposes much of those expenses would likely not be currently deductible.  if you have continued losses the IRS could argue you have a hobby which would make the income taxable but would result in the disallowance of expenses that should not be capitalized.   also, you may have tax issues with Mexico.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

seek professional help.    for US tax purposes much of those expenses would likely not be currently deductible.  if you have continued losses the IRS could argue you have a hobby which would make the income taxable but would result in the disallowance of expenses that should not be capitalized.   also, you may have tax issues with Mexico.  

Carl
Level 15

The complexities of your situation are way beyond the scope of this forum, Assuming you are a U.S. citizen or legally registered green card holder, I would expect you to have a CPA/Accountant firm on your payroll that takes care of all this stuff on your behalf. If not, then you need to find one yesterday (if not sooner) that is well versed in both U.S. tax law (as well as state tax law for your resident state) and Mexico tax law. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies