Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ron2024
Returning Member

I use cash method on my tax return, can i deduct all inventory cost at the same tax year of purchase instead of waiting the inventory is sold. If so, should i use the cost of goods sold form, or deduct them as "Other deductions"

I use cash method on my tax return, can i deduct all inventory cost at the same tax year of purchase instead of waiting the inventory is sold. If so, should i use the cost of goods sold form, or deduct them as "Other deductions"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you don't keep an inventory, you can use the Other Deductions category.   Do I have to keep inventory?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ron2024
Returning Member

Under the cash method, I can deduct inventory as other deductions or "COGS",

Under accual method, i can only deduct inventory as on "COGS",

Am i correct?

A couple of comments regarding your questions:

• Accrual method of accounting gives you a better picture of your business; in general, no highs or lows
  • With the accrual method of accounting, you don't "deduct" inventory.  You track beginning inventory, purchases and ending inventory which then results in CGS.
  • If you are eligible to use the cash method and not track inventory, you would deduct the costs (purchases) as noted by @DawnC either as "other expenses" on line 27a of the Schedule C (assuming you are filing this, however, there is no indication of what software you are using), or you can reflect it on Schedule C Part III on line 36.  Using this method you need to also show zero beginning and zero ending inventory.
  • This is your 3rd post on this question.  
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
ron2024
Returning Member

Thank you so much! If i cash method, can i still use accual method for inventory only meaning that i will use actual beinning inventory + purchase - actual ending inventory (i don't want to deduct full inventory cost, but i want to cash method for my tax return)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies