Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ldrasner

I should qualify for the 20% qualified business income deduction, but the line is blank on my form and I do not see any questions or calculations as to the deduction?

I am a general partner and get a K1.  I am married filing jointly and my taxable income is less than 315k.  I do not see in TurboTax where this is determined and I got no questions on it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

I should qualify for the 20% qualified business income deduction, but the line is blank on my form and I do not see any questions or calculations as to the deduction?

The QBI deduction will be determined for K-1 income if the K-1 form has amounts and codes in the following boxes (depending upon the type of entity) and you have taxable income on your 1040 return:

• For Form 1065 K-1 forms, amounts need to be in box 20 with codes within the range of Z to AD or 
  • For 1120S K-1 forms, amounts need to be in  box 17 with codes of V, W, X, Y and/or Z
You will have to complete the entire K-1 entry section in order for the QBI deduction to calculate.

For taxable income under $157,500 single or $315,000 joint, the deduction is 20% of QBI (which is your qualified business income less your portion of self-employment taxes, self-employed health insurance, etc) OR 20% of your taxable income (except capital gains and dividends), whichever is LESS.  The QBI deduction is reported on line 9 of your 1040 form.

Note that not all rental activity is eligible for the QBI deduction.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7019998

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieCo

The QBI deduction will be determined for K-1 income if the K-1 form has amounts and codes in the following boxes (depending upon the type of entity) and you have taxable income on your 1040 return:

• For Form 1065 K-1 forms, amounts need to be in box 20 with codes within the range of Z to AD or 
  • For 1120S K-1 forms, amounts need to be in  box 17 with codes of V, W, X, Y and/or Z
You will have to complete the entire K-1 entry section in order for the QBI deduction to calculate.

For taxable income under $157,500 single or $315,000 joint, the deduction is 20% of QBI (which is your qualified business income less your portion of self-employment taxes, self-employed health insurance, etc) OR 20% of your taxable income (except capital gains and dividends), whichever is LESS.  The QBI deduction is reported on line 9 of your 1040 form.

Note that not all rental activity is eligible for the QBI deduction.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7019998

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies