Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own several partnership investments that use non-recourse debt to finance part of their operations. Where do I enter the info needed to complete Form 6198?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I own several partnership investments that use non-recourse debt to finance part of their operations. Where do I enter the info needed to complete Form 6198?

You don't.

Nonrecourse debt provides basis, but it does not provide at-risk basis and at-risk basis is what form 6198 is computing.

However, if you are asking about completing form 6198 to track suspended losses due to at-risk limitations, then you would need to go into the forms mode and enter the information that way.  But, I am not sure that using the online version allows you to go into a forms mode.  I believe only the downloaded version or a CD version allow for forms mode.  

Remember, as noted above, nonrecourse debt will not provide at-risk basis in order for you to take losses.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Thanks Rick.  I'm up-to-speed on the at-risk rules.  This is the first year that this particular investment has used NR debt, so only a portion of the current year's operating loss was funded through equity/QNR debt, hence my need to complete the 6198.  I'm using the online version of TT, which I'm finding to not be very user friendly in terms of navigating to a specific part of the return.  It sounds like I might have better luck with the CD or download version.

@tfstss wrote:

It sounds like I might have better luck with the CD or download version.

Yes! You absolutely would have better luck with the desktop (installed) version since it has Forms Mode; there are "6198 calculations" that TurboTax does not support.

QNR (qualified nonrecourse debt) is not the same as nonrecourse debt.

If you have QNR, then this DOES provide at-risk basis to take losses.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Thanks Rick.  I'm up-to-speed on the difference between NR debt and QNR debt and aware of how the two diff types of debt impact my amount at-risk.

Thank you!  I'll give that a try.

I am having a problem with form 6198.  In the interviewing process under describe the partnership, I want to uncheck i have at risk losses carrying over from 2019 as it was an error on my part to check.   The program rechecks the box when I uncheck it.   

i found my mistake after filing raxes so now I am amending the return.

can i go into form mode , i ahve desktop version, and changes the figures on form 6198?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies