Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

srs7874

I have to file sch D and form 8949 because I took a shareholder distribution in excess of basis. Error message asking for date of sale?? Nothing was sold. Please help.

I have to file schedule D and form 8949 because I took a shareholder distribution in excess of basis and need to pay capital gains. This was the hardest part of TurboTax for me. Last year was the first year I had to do it, and I decided to use an account. This year, I went off of the return my account prep have to file schedule D and form 8949 because I took a shareholder distribution in excess of basis and need to pay capital gains. This was the hardest part of TurboTax for me. Last year was the first year I had to do it, and I decided to use an account. This year, I went off of the return my account prepared for 2022 to make sure I entered things in TurboTax so that all the numbers popped up on the correct line (there was nothing on Turbo Tax that truly applied to the distribution excess).  I am ready to file and had one error. I am being asked to enter the "date sold" of the excess distribution. Nothing was "sold". Do I just enter 12/31/23 since that was the last day of the year for which the excess was paid?  Thanks.

The exact error reads...
"Form 1099-B Worksheet (name of corporation)--capital assets wksht (1): date sold must be entered for distribution in excess of basis"

I also don't know what a 1099-B is. The info I entered was from a shareholders basis statement. Maybe I entered the numbers in the wrong line, but it was the only place I could find to make them show up in the proper place on the form. 

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I have to file sch D and form 8949 because I took a shareholder distribution in excess of basis. Error message asking for date of sale?? Nothing was sold. Please help.

i suggest entering 12/31/2023 or the date of distribution since you need a "sales" date for entries that go on form 8949 or Schedule.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies