Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have Excess business interest expense in box 13K on my K1 (form 1065). How does this affect my personal tax return? Can I dedcut it? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I have Excess business interest expense in box 13K on my K1 (form 1065). How does this affect my personal tax return? Can I dedcut it? Thank you!

Next year, you'll complete Form 8990 and repeat in future years until you can claim all the excess business interest expense. This is a complicated issue that may or may not be worth your effort. You may wish to consult a local tax professional with partnership experience to advise you how to proceed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you are able to deduct the business interest expense reported on Schedule K-1, the expense may reduce your taxable income.

According to IRS Instructions for Form 1065 Schedule K-1 Box 13 Code K. Excess business interest expense (EBIE): "If the partnership reports EBIE to the partner, the partner is required to file Form 8990. See the Instructions for Form 8990 for additional information."

Form 8990 is used to figure the amount of business interest expense you can deduct and the amount to carry forward to the next year. This form is not supported by TurboTax. You'll need to use this IRS link to download the form and complete it manually. To include it with return, you will need to print and mail your federal tax return.

Thank you, Patricia. If I use the form 8990 to carryforward business interest expense to the next year, how can I use this business interest expense carryforward to deduct my tax next year? Can you please explain? Thank you!

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Next year, you'll complete Form 8990 and repeat in future years until you can claim all the excess business interest expense. This is a complicated issue that may or may not be worth your effort. You may wish to consult a local tax professional with partnership experience to advise you how to proceed.

Thank you

@PatriciaV I have filled in the form 8990 and I have a number(e.g. $1000) at line 30 Total current year business interest expense deduction. Where can I use this line 30 number ($1000) on my 1040 form? Thank you.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

This interest may qualify as investment interest expense, which is limited to the amount of net investment income you earned for the year. You report investment interest expense in the section Retirement and Investments. Proceed through that section, reading all the information provided and making all the necessary entries. The interest expense will be reported on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.

Be sure to include Form 8990 with your return if you mail it. Otherwise, attach Form 8453 to Form 8990 and mail them separately. (You can print Form 8453 from TurboTax for Desktop using Forms Mode (F6 or Forms>Open Form...).

Additional Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies