Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

huy117
Returning Member

I am a treasurer of a collegiate club whose main income is through college funding, dues, fundraisers and things like that. What do I have to do to file taxes?

I am a treasurer of a collegiate club whose main income is through college funding, dues, fundraisers, and things like that. What do I have to do to file taxes? The club is considered a small business and I do have the club's EIN.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I am a treasurer of a collegiate club whose main income is through college funding, dues, fundraisers and things like that. What do I have to do to file taxes?

Is the club organized as a non-profit under Section 501(c)?   If so, Form 990 and possibly 990T if criteria is met.   Also, is the club under the auspices of the College?   If so, perhaps nothing need be done, but check with the College administration.

If non-profit see this link

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i990.pdf

If the club is not organized as a non-profit under IRC 501(c) and it is a corporation, then Form 1120 or on an outside chance, 1120S (which I highly doubt) might be required.

What has been filed in the past?

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
huy117
Returning Member

I am not sure whether the club was organized as a non-profit. We are under the college, but they told me I still had to file taxes. We have not filed taxes in the past.

huy117
Returning Member

Since the tax forms are due today, is there any way to extend the deadline? Also is there anyone I can talk to that can help me fill out the forms?

Did they tell you what you needed to file?

For F990 filing date is 15th day of the 5th month after the end of the organization's tax year.  For calendar year, that would be May 15th.

For a "for profit" 1120, it is the 15th day of 4th month after end of taxable year.  

You need to find out what the club is.  Profit, non-profit, corporation...just what is the organization?   College administration should be able to tell you, especially since they told you to file something....what?

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
huy117
Returning Member

They did not tell me what to file.

We are a collegiate archery club.

I assume that this is not the first year for the organization.

You should ask someone for a copy of prior return(s).

Someone should know the answer to this, it is just figuring out who that person is.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies