Solved: I am a new employee of a church and i am their fist employee and they have been paying their employees with a 1099, i want to get a w2 since but how do I set that up

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christinah_88

I am a new employee of a church and i am their fist employee and they have been paying their employees with a 1099, i want to get a w2 since but how do I set that up

I am the first employee of our church. I want to know how to set up to receive a w2 form not a 1099 from them and to get my withholdings taken from them. They do not know how to set up and I want to make sure that my taxes are correct at the end of the year. What do I do?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

I am a new employee of a church and i am their fist employee and they have been paying their employees with a 1099, i want to get a w2 since but how do I set that up

Their accountant or finance person needs to get an education, or they need to contract with a payroll service.  There's nothing you can do other than insist that you be paid properly.  Their denomination may have a district office, district treasurer, or other denominational resources who can provide training.

(Whether you are a W-2 employee or a contractor depends on the nature of your working relationship, how much independence you have, and how much control they have.  It's rarely legitimate to choose between the two; you are one or the other based on the nature of the work you will be doing.)

When I was treasurer of my church, I needed to educate myself on how to pay our first staff employee -- it requires a fair amount of detail oriented work to learn and follow all the state and federal regulations, and there is no way I can provide that kind of training here.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

Their accountant or finance person needs to get an education, or they need to contract with a payroll service.  There's nothing you can do other than insist that you be paid properly.  Their denomination may have a district office, district treasurer, or other denominational resources who can provide training.

(Whether you are a W-2 employee or a contractor depends on the nature of your working relationship, how much independence you have, and how much control they have.  It's rarely legitimate to choose between the two; you are one or the other based on the nature of the work you will be doing.)

When I was treasurer of my church, I needed to educate myself on how to pay our first staff employee -- it requires a fair amount of detail oriented work to learn and follow all the state and federal regulations, and there is no way I can provide that kind of training here.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings