turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a limited partner at my firm. Where do I enter the partner loan interest payment amount? Should it not be deductible??

I need to enter the LP loan interest as a nonpassive loss on Schedule E, Part II, Line 28, Column (i) and describe as 
Interest Expense, but how do I get it there?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I am a limited partner at my firm. Where do I enter the partner loan interest payment amount? Should it not be deductible??

When you say "limited partner", what exactly does this mean?

• Is the entity a limited partnership in which you are truly a limited partner; not materially participating?
  • Is this an LLC filing as a partnership in which the limited partner box is checked and you are truly a "limited partner" or other LLC member; not materially participating?
  • Is this an LLC filing as a partnership in which the member-manager box is checked?
  • Aside from the above, it would be good to provide a few more facts.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

• Thank you for your response.  As an employee at the LP in question, I am materially participating.  “Limited partner or other LLC” is marked.  All my LP income is nonpassive.  In order to pay for my limited partnership offering, my employer offered a loan in which all income is directed until the loan is paid in full. This loan charges interest.  It is listed on the K1 as Line 20ZZ - Partner loan interest, and the instructions say it needs to be reported as a nonpassive loss on Schedule E, Part II, Line 28, Column (i) and describe as Interest Expense. However, when I enter it under 20ZZ nothing happens, and the system will not allow me to enter it manually on Schedule E.  What am I doing incorrectly?  Thank you in advance. 

The online versions of TT are not quite as flexible as the desktop versions; allowing to enter directly on a form.

My recommendation is to go into the applicable K-1 and go through the questions.  As you address each screen, there should be a question regarding using debt to purchase your interest or something to that effect.  This may require going into a "not common expense" section or something to that effect.

This is where you would enter that interest expense.

The interest expense should then be reflected on a separate line on your Schedule E titled "business interest".

I would then remove the box 20 entry input.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

two options 

1) enter on line 13zz and then describe what it is and enter the amount on the line that says nonpassive and will be reported on schedule E page 2

2) create another k-1 for the partnership  but rather than using name of partnership (only use EIN) state "interest pd to buy partnership share" or use your own wording. then enter as a negative on line 1 and check material participation

@greyleighandcam Would this happen to be an Edward Jones K-1? Your question is exactly the answer I am needing. I paid $50 for the TurboTax Live support. To no avail. I spoke to two reps who also can’t assist. What did you end up doing? 

Yes, I have an Edward Jones K-1. The instructions Edward Jones gave did not work due to Turbo Tax online download limitations.  I was given the following recommendations:

two options 

1) enter on line 13zz and then describe what it is and enter the amount on the line that says nonpassive and will be reported on schedule E page 2

2) create another k-1 for the partnership  but rather than using name of partnership (only use EIN) state "interest pd to buy partnership share" or use your own wording. then enter as a negative on line 1 and check material participation

I chose to compete step 1, and my Partnership loan payment showed up where it needed to be on the income tax form, and I received a tax deduction.  To enter on line 13zz instead of 20zz you follow the same steps the Edward Jones gives.  You will have to look at the Edward Jones instructions, but, off the top of my head, I labeled it something like Business Interest. Edward Jones says to use something slightly different, but is basically the same thing. 

@greyleighandcam Thank you for your quick response!! Unfortunately I am using the desktop version. So.. it’s not giving me the option to add it as a non passive loss. I enter box 13zz and no deduction and nothing on Schedule E. I really appreciate your help. I may have to just do my taxes using the online version. Have a great weekend! 

@Mike9241 your suggestion of adding it to box 13zz worked for the online version. Would you happen to know how to do this on the desktop version. I can physically report the non passive loss where it is supposed to go in forms using a manual override. And then it gives me my deduction. Do you think the manual override would be acceptable to the IRS? Of course I would love to be able to input it into the system and just have it flow to the correct form but that does not seem to be working. Appreciate the help. 

One of the reasons I switched to entering the K1 loan payment to 13zz from 20zz (where the loan payment was listed) is because the TurboTax online version would not allow me to type in (override) the Turbo tax input system. I was in formed, however, the desktop version does allow this. If this is true, go to the tax form (pre submission). Go to Section E, Page 2, Part II, Line 28, column i  (Nonpassive loss allowed). Enter the loan interest amount and the description. (Your non passive income from you K1 should also be listed in this section under column k).

Yes, it would be okay to enter a manual override. You probably know this, but you override TurboTax by going to Section E, Part II, Line 28, column i  (Nonpassive loss allowed). Enter the loan interest amount and the description. (Your nonpassive income from you K1 should also be listed in this section under column k.)

@greyleighandcam Thank you. Really appreciate the help! 

Angie67

YES!! This worked perfectly. Thanks guys!!

Angie

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies