Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a attorney, who has an LLC and has Miscell income that came in my business name for the full amount that was received for settlements, but I didn't get it all how

How do I report this on my personal income tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I am a attorney, who has an LLC and has Miscell income that came in my business name for the full amount that was received for settlements, but I didn't get it all how

Funds that you received for benefit of your clients should never get anywhere near your personal income tax return.

If your law firm received funds that represented the gross proceeds of a settlement, including both your firm's fees and the funds that belong to your client, the gross proceeds should have been deposited to your Trust Account, and recorded on the firm's books as a Trust Account Liability. You would subsequently disburse your fees to your firm's operating account (at which time you would record income) and disburse the net proceeds to your client, thus discharging the Trust Account Liability.

Having completed that exercise, your now have the LLC only showing income in the amount of your fees. Those fees, in the aggregate, are reported on Schedule C (Form 1040), along with your business expenses, to determine your business income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Funds that you received for benefit of your clients should never get anywhere near your personal income tax return.

If your law firm received funds that represented the gross proceeds of a settlement, including both your firm's fees and the funds that belong to your client, the gross proceeds should have been deposited to your Trust Account, and recorded on the firm's books as a Trust Account Liability. You would subsequently disburse your fees to your firm's operating account (at which time you would record income) and disburse the net proceeds to your client, thus discharging the Trust Account Liability.

Having completed that exercise, your now have the LLC only showing income in the amount of your fees. Those fees, in the aggregate, are reported on Schedule C (Form 1040), along with your business expenses, to determine your business income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies