Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter liquidating distributions in TT premium

I was one of 95 shareholder in a s corp.  In 2022, we liquidated the sCorp through an asset sale. I received a K-1 with amounts or net capital gains, sec 1250 un recaptured gains, and net 1231 gains.  There is also note that says I should subtract my stock basis from an amount given as liquidating distributions and enter the amount on schedule D.  As far as I know, you don’t enter values directly on to Sch D in TurboTax, but I don’t know how to enter this information using the interview process in TT either.  Also, this subtraction would result in a negative amount, and where on Sch D would this be entered if I could?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to enter liquidating distributions in TT premium

A few comments:

• As a shareholder in an S corporation, you should be tracking your stock basis.
  • You are correct in that you should not enter anything directly on Schedule D.
  • You will update your stock basis for the applicable lines on your final K-1.
  • When updating your stock basis for the final K-1, do not adjust the basis for any liquidating distribution.  See next bullet.
  • Hopefully the liquidating distribution was reported to you on form 1099-DIV; which is the proper method to report this.  It should not technically be on the K-1 as a distribution.
  • When you indicate that this is a final K-1 in TT, there will be some additional questions.
  • One of the questions will be how you disposed of the S corporation stock.  Don't get hung up on semantics with the options as long as the end result is correct.
  • At some point TT will ask for the selling price (even though this was a liquidation).  This amount is your liquidating distribution.
  • Then TT will ask for your cost basis.  This is you stock basis.
  • You will enter the final K-1 amounts just as you have in past years.
  • TT will handle the rest
  • If you truly have a negative amount as you indicate, this means that you have a capital gain.  So check for this on Schedule D.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies