Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fat-guy
Returning Member

How to delete Qualified Business Income deduction (Form 8995) from turbotax online?

I have a rental that is managed by PM, so I definitely put in less than 250 hours per year. So I do not think I am qualified for QBI. So when I was asked the three questions:

"Do you want to take the QBI safe harbor?"

"Is this Qualified Business Income?" 

"in 2021, did you have any activities... had income attributable to SSTBs", 

I put all negative answers. But at the end I still got several dollars QBI deduction and form 8995. How should I delete these? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How to delete Qualified Business Income deduction (Form 8995) from turbotax online?

If you're using TurboTax Online, go to Tax Tools > Tools in the left-side menu, then choose 'Delete a Form' from the pop-up screen.

Delete Form 8995 and any other QBI Worksheets.

If the Form 8995 comes back into your return, your QBI deduction could also be related to a Schedule C, a K-1, or a 1099-Div entry.  

If this applies, here's more info on Why Am I Getting a QBI Deduction.

@fat-guy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fat-guy
Returning Member

Thanks. Finally found out I do have $15 section 199a dividend in fidelity 1099-div, which generates $3 deduction in Form 8995. I know this is favorable to me, but is it ok to delete this $15 dividend and not take the deduction? I just do not think $3 is worth for extra forms and involvement in sth related to "business". Will IRS care about this "mistake" even if I opt to take less deduction?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

No, the IRS has a rule about the accuracy of tax returns.

You must make every effort to include all income in your tax return.  

• However, your tax return must be "substantially correct".  
  • The IRS defines this as: "For individuals, a substantial understatement of tax applies if you understate your tax liability by 10% of the tax required to be shown on your tax return or $5,000, whichever is greater."  

Accuracy-Related Penalty

So, your $3 will not raise an eyebrow.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies