Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bholy

Can my daughter deduct the total amount she paid for a business license as a single business deduction this year, or does this require amortization over 15 years?

My daughter has a very small franchised licensed music business. A town 50 miles away has an identical business. She bought this business out as an expansion of her current business. Assests were minimal at under $500. Basically what she bought was the other indivduals license. Total purchase was under $5000.00. Can she deduct the total amount she paid for the business as a single business deduction this year, or does this require amortization over 15 years?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can my daughter deduct the total amount she paid for a business license as a single business deduction this year, or does this require amortization over 15 years?

Then I think it has to be amortized under Section 197 for 15 years.  See the link below

https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p535-043.htm#en_us_publink1000208966

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

How long is the license for?
**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
Bholy

Non expiring unless she would sell her business
Bholy

I see in last years TurboTax Program, there is a specific section to enter "Startup Costs" within the (Business) (Business Expenses) section. Also inthis section are "Business Vehicle Expense", "Other Common Business Expenses", and "Home Office Expense". THis years program has deleted the "Startup Costs" section.

Then I think it has to be amortized under Section 197 for 15 years.  See the link below

https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p535-043.htm#en_us_publink1000208966

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies