Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you break down taxes in 941Q between Box 3 (Federal Income Tax Withheld) and Boxes 5a-5e?

I'm the sole employee of an S Corporation trying to ensure that the corporation is paying Social Security and Medicare correctly.

I think I understand that Federal Social Security is 12.4%, Medicare 2.9% (until an income threshold is reached) and that both are split HALF between the employee (through federal income tax withholding)  and HALF the employer (through Social Security and Medicare taxes).

It that is true, why on the quarterly 941 are the boxes like this:

5a Taxable social security wages:  wage x 0.124

5c Taxable Medicare wages & tips: wage x 0.029

Shouldn't they be HALF that amount, because the other HALF is paid through the employee's Federal income tax withheld) line 3? 

In other words, if the employer pays 12.4% of wages towards Social Security and 2.9% towards Medicare in lines 5a-5e, isn't that overpaying, paying double the amount necessary?  They should be paying half that amount, the other half coming from Federal income tax withheld.

I must understand it incorrectly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How do you break down taxes in 941Q between Box 3 (Federal Income Tax Withheld) and Boxes 5a-5e?

In box 3 on the Form 941, you enter the income tax withheld from the employee only, not the FICA and Medicare tax. It is true the employee pays half of the payroll taxes, but they get reported in boxes 5a and 5c, both the employer and employee half.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies