ascovera2

How do I get the box on the 1041 checked that it is a Decedent's Estate and my mom passed away?

My mom passed away in 2016 and I am completing her 1041 for the first time. It seems that the Decedent's Estate box should be checked, but I cannot get the software to ask me the question. Should that box be checked for the Trust Return?

tagteam

"It  seems that the Decedent's Estate box should be checked..."

Yes, you have to make sure the appropriate box is checked when you start the return; both the type of return (i.e., whether it is an estate or trust as opposed to a business) and then whether the return is for a trust or estate (see screenshots). 

If you start a return and designate that it is a trust, there does not appear to be a way to change the return to that of an estate (it does appear to work the other way around, however).

tagteam