Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I form S Corp?

Do I setup LLC, then elect S Corp election. Is there a way to set up S Corp?  I don’t want to go through filing 2553 & wait for S Corp. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

How do I form S Corp?

Not necessarily.  If you are just wanting to set up an S-Corporation, you don't have to set up an LLC first.  You will have to file Form 2553 to become an S-Corporation.  You cannot avoid that step as it is a part of establishing your S-Corporation status.  

Form 2553 generally needs to be filed no more than 2 months, 15 days after the beginning of the tax year where you want the election to take place.  If you are late to making the election, you can also request relief from the late election by writing "Filed Pursuant to Rev. Proc. 2013-30" on the top of page 1 on Form 2553.  Please see these instructions for more details on making the S-Corporation election.

Finally, if you do decide to start as an LLC, and then convert to an S-corporation, you would need to file Form 8832 to let the IRS know you do not want to be taxed as an LLC but instead as a corporation.  You would then need to file Form 2553 to elect S-Corporate status as well.  Please see this link for additional information on converting to an S-Corporation.

S-Corporations do have specific requirements that must be met in order qualify for this status.  This IRS link has all of the specific details to help you ensure you are qualified to make the election.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I form S Corp?

here are some things about going the direct S-Corp route

✓ Comprehensive name check - the name of the S-Corp can not match that of another business - the rules for what is a match varies from state to state

✓ Preparation of Articles of Incorporation

✓ Document filing with the Secretary of State  (or other authority)  - you must record your s-corp with the appropriate official in the state

LLC formation - again document filing with the appropriate authority is required. 

there are multiple websites to do all of this for you for a fee or you can use a lawyer

you should consult with a tax pro. generally, you must take a reasonable salary for the services you do for the S-Corp. this means registering and filing payroll tax returns.  There would be other things that would be discussed such as record keeping. 

How do I form S Corp?

What if my business has loss, hence I can not take salary. Are draws or distribution same thing? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies