Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home Office Deduction

I am a psychologist working from home using telehealth. I am a W-2 employee of my single-owner S-Corp. I have an office that I will use exclusively for work. I use the internet and my only cell phone for both work and personal use. What deductions am I entitled to take?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Home Office Deduction

as an employee you cannot take a home office deduction. however, the S-corp can establish an accountable plan where it reimburses you for your H-O expenses.  Under an accountable plan, periodically you submit an expense report to the S-Corp for your H-O expenses. It writes you a check. This amount is not taxable to you and the S-Corp gets the deduction.

see this thread

as to cell phone/internet

When it comes to supporting the business use of your cell phone/internet for tax purposes, there are a few key considerations:

1. Substantiating Business Use:

• The IRS expects you to be able to substantiate the percentage of cell phone usage that is related to your business. You should keep records that demonstrate the business use versus personal use. These records could include:
      • Texts, Calls, and Applications: Keep records of business-related texts, calls, and app usage.
      • Calendar Entries: Mark your calendar with business-related activities conducted using your phone.
      • Log of Usage: Maintain a log of the time you spend using your phone for business versus personal purposes.
      • Voice Mail Messages: If your voice mail includes business-related information (such as the business name), this can serve as evidence.
    • Remember that you decide the business use percentage based on the facts and circumstances as you kno...1.
  2. Phone Charges:

3. Reasonable and Necessary Expenses:

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Home Office Deduction

as an employee you cannot take a home office deduction. however, the S-corp can establish an accountable plan where it reimburses you for your H-O expenses.  Under an accountable plan, periodically you submit an expense report to the S-Corp for your H-O expenses. It writes you a check. This amount is not taxable to you and the S-Corp gets the deduction.

see this thread

as to cell phone/internet

When it comes to supporting the business use of your cell phone/internet for tax purposes, there are a few key considerations:

1. Substantiating Business Use:

• The IRS expects you to be able to substantiate the percentage of cell phone usage that is related to your business. You should keep records that demonstrate the business use versus personal use. These records could include:
      • Texts, Calls, and Applications: Keep records of business-related texts, calls, and app usage.
      • Calendar Entries: Mark your calendar with business-related activities conducted using your phone.
      • Log of Usage: Maintain a log of the time you spend using your phone for business versus personal purposes.
      • Voice Mail Messages: If your voice mail includes business-related information (such as the business name), this can serve as evidence.
    • Remember that you decide the business use percentage based on the facts and circumstances as you kno...1.
  2. Phone Charges:

3. Reasonable and Necessary Expenses:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies