Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help with mistake regarding W9 and 1099NEC for 2 separate businesses

I'm hoping someone can help me with this: I own 2 small businesses.  One is a sole proprietorship, which I'll call Company A, and the other is an LLC with no employees, which I'll call Company B.  In both business I need to hire independent contractors.  The two businesses are very similar and often do the same type of work, so much so that sometimes new clients aren't even aware that I have the other business and/or do not differentiate between the two unless I point out that they are 2 different businesses. 

Recently a new client hired me to do I job that I would normally contract through Company A, so I paid my independent contractors from Company A's account.  However, I accidently sent the client a Form W9 for Company B, so she wrote out the check to Company B.  The problem now is that I have a business expense for Company A (which I'll report on Form 1099NEC for my independent contractors) related to income for Company B.  From my own point of view, it doesn't matter since I am both businesses, but will this cause a problem with the IRS?  If so, is there some way to reconcile this so the expense and the income appear for the same business to avoid problems with the IRS, without me or my client having to rewrite any checks?

Thanks!!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies