Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help understanding K1

Every year for the past 3 years we receive a K-1 from an LLC my husband is part of. I am so confused about how to enter since it has both business and rental income.  Turbo Tax recommends I treat them as two separate K1s. Do I fill in all the boxes starting at Box 3 for each one? Specifically Box 20 has a code A and Z. Or where can I learn more about K1 so I wont be so confused next year again? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Help understanding K1

If your Schedule K-1 has amounts in both Box 1 and Box 2, you will need to add another K-1 to report Box 2 only.

Enter all the information from Part I and Part II of the K-1 on both copies. Include all information from Part III on the first copy - except for the amount in Box 2. The second copy should have only the amount in Box 2 from Part III.

If, however, you received additional information with Schedule K-1 that provides the breakdown of the amounts in the other boxes, use this info to split the other box amounts between the K-1s. Otherwise, follow the instructions above.

Be sure to check Box 20 Code Z for both K-1's if you received Statement A Section 199A information (QBI) both businesses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Help understanding K1

If your Schedule K-1 has amounts in both Box 1 and Box 2, you will need to add another K-1 to report Box 2 only.

Enter all the information from Part I and Part II of the K-1 on both copies. Include all information from Part III on the first copy - except for the amount in Box 2. The second copy should have only the amount in Box 2 from Part III.

If, however, you received additional information with Schedule K-1 that provides the breakdown of the amounts in the other boxes, use this info to split the other box amounts between the K-1s. Otherwise, follow the instructions above.

Be sure to check Box 20 Code Z for both K-1's if you received Statement A Section 199A information (QBI) both businesses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies