Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jackwan1

Capital loss carryover on final trust return 1041.

• I have a final trust return 1041, the box of final return is checked, it was for my deceased mom. There is a large tax loss carryover on K-1 worksheet line 11c long term capital loss carryover. When I print the K-1 it does not show anywhere, how can I report that on my personal return and which year I can use that loss carryover? The K-1 also has a final return box checked.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

" When I print the K-1 it does not show anywhere..."

The loss should appear on Line 11 (C Code) of your K-1 and, if it doesn't, you might not have made a distribution (which is sometimes necessary despite the fact that you indicated the return was "final"). If making a distribution doesn't result in the loss being carried through to your K-1, then try entering Forms Mode and ensure that your K-1 has the appropriate IDD percentage entered in the Beneficiary's Allocation Smart Worksheet (see screenshot).

" how can I report that on my personal return"

There is a section in the personal versions of TurboTax (the online version of TurboTax Premier or higher and any Desktop/CD/Download version) where you would enter information from a K-1 that you received from a trust. You would simply enter the figures in that section and the program will take care of the rest.

"which year I can use that loss carryover?"

You can start using the loss carryover in the year listed on the K-1 (either the calendar year that appears pre-printed on the top of the K-1 or the year ending if the trust is a fiscal year trust, the latter would be highly unusual). Note that the loss will fully offset any capital gains you might otherwise have for the tax year but, if your capital losses exceed your capital gains after they are netted, the annual limit of capital losses that can be used to offset other income is $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

" When I print the K-1 it does not show anywhere..."

The loss should appear on Line 11 (C Code) of your K-1 and, if it doesn't, you might not have made a distribution (which is sometimes necessary despite the fact that you indicated the return was "final"). If making a distribution doesn't result in the loss being carried through to your K-1, then try entering Forms Mode and ensure that your K-1 has the appropriate IDD percentage entered in the Beneficiary's Allocation Smart Worksheet (see screenshot).

" how can I report that on my personal return"

There is a section in the personal versions of TurboTax (the online version of TurboTax Premier or higher and any Desktop/CD/Download version) where you would enter information from a K-1 that you received from a trust. You would simply enter the figures in that section and the program will take care of the rest.

"which year I can use that loss carryover?"

You can start using the loss carryover in the year listed on the K-1 (either the calendar year that appears pre-printed on the top of the K-1 or the year ending if the trust is a fiscal year trust, the latter would be highly unusual). Note that the loss will fully offset any capital gains you might otherwise have for the tax year but, if your capital losses exceed your capital gains after they are netted, the annual limit of capital losses that can be used to offset other income is $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately).

jackwan1

Great answer, now I can file my amended returns. Thanks a lot

You are most welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies