Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting Large Federal & State Refunds but still waiting on K-1

I am getting a large refund for Federal & State Taxes. However I am still waiting on a K-1 which I have been told I will not receive until the summer. This K-1 will have minimal income so I will still be receiving refunds. Do I file what I have and then do an an amendment or do I wait until I have the K-1?  Do I need to file an extension if I am receiving a refund or do I just wait to file? I want to limit audit risk. Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, filing after the deadline slightly decreases your audit risk as long as you are not paying late. 

As MayaD points out, the penalty for failure to file is a percentage of the amount due, so if no amount is due, there is no penalty. That being said, the best practice is to file for an extension, even if you don't owe. 

As far as filing now, and amending later, there is no real advantage to that. It is almost twice as much work and unless you are anxious to get your refund, it is best to just file when you have all of your information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

There is no penalty for failure to file if you are due a refund.

IRS.gov

Would not filing raise audit risk or would filing an amended return raise audit risk?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, filing after the deadline slightly decreases your audit risk as long as you are not paying late. 

As MayaD points out, the penalty for failure to file is a percentage of the amount due, so if no amount is due, there is no penalty. That being said, the best practice is to file for an extension, even if you don't owe. 

As far as filing now, and amending later, there is no real advantage to that. It is almost twice as much work and unless you are anxious to get your refund, it is best to just file when you have all of your information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies