Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

form 966 after filing final tax return for c-corporation.

Hi all,

I filed final return for C-Corp which was 2023 tax year. I didn't know if form 966 should be filed after 30 days of resolution. I am an only owner and I make all decision, so I don't have any written document. I just didn't have any income in 2023 and decided to close the company. My question is, can I file form 966 now since more than 30 days have passed, and final return is filed already in April 2024? 

Please advise.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should file Form 966 along with the resolution to dissolve the corporation now. You can complete the form manually in TurboTax Business using Forms Mode (F6 or Forms>>Open Form), then print, sign, and mail with the resolution to the address on the filing instructions for Form 1120.

The resolution to dissolve is a simple statement on corporate letterhead with your signature. You may be able to find samples of this using any search engine.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much Patricia. 

I am an only person who owns the company, and, in the resolution, I just mention that I made the decision to dissolve it. 

Do you happen to know where to send the form because when I search, no address comes up. It does say that form should be sent where tax final tax returns are sent but, I am unable to find one either. 

Thank you again. 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you used TurboTax Business to file Form 1120 for your C-Corp, the address is shown on the Filing Instructions that are in the forms of your return.

Or you can look up the address for your state here: IRS Where to file Form 1120.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies