Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 3800 Carryforward from K-1: general business credit

I have a general business credit carryforward from 2022 to 2023. On the 3800 form, field 4 on my 2023 fed return, the field shows as blank after I enter my 2023 K-1 from the S-Corp. The correct # is $38k or whatever, but Turbotax says I must "override the field" when editing the 3800 form to enter the correct number there. It then says the override will cause problems. If I double-click the field, it doesn't take me anywhere to do the computation. Where else would I enter that credit carryforward? I could just override it, but I'm trying to avoid discrepancies that will trigger an issue down the road. Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I found the solution. 

Please go to "3800 Worksheet" in Forms View. Scroll down almost all the way to the bottom to the section named "Credit Carryforwards and Carrybacks". On lines 1-6, enter the details for your carryforward credit. Once done, you will see the amount reflected in Part IV of Form 3800 and then ripple up to Form 3800, line 4.

No overrides will be necessary.

It worked for me. It should work for you. Good luck.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Please check back. I will page Champ @Mike9241.

I'm having the exact same issue. Here's what I'm seeing on my end, which is NOT an answer.

The form where it's supposed to be showing your carryover amount and other details is Form 3800 Part IV. I figured this out by reading through all pages of Form 3800 in Forms View and on a desktop version of TurboTax. Instead of performing your override on Form 3800, Part I, line 4, you could populate Part IV (via overrides) which will then ripple through to Form 3800, Part I, line 4. But again, this solution also involves making overrides!

The part that TurboTax was able to handle correctly for me was in the "Carryover Wks", line 18 ("General Business Credit"). The column labelled 2022 does indeed show the correct amount that needs to be carried forward into 2023. Where I think TurboTax fails is what I've described in the previous paragraph.

I'll venture to guess that this is a bug.

Standing by for an expert to chime in.

you're asking about your s-corp return? if so there is no credit c/f. the credit passes through to the shareholders and they are the ones with the c/f. 

I found the solution. 

Please go to "3800 Worksheet" in Forms View. Scroll down almost all the way to the bottom to the section named "Credit Carryforwards and Carrybacks". On lines 1-6, enter the details for your carryforward credit. Once done, you will see the amount reflected in Part IV of Form 3800 and then ripple up to Form 3800, line 4.

No overrides will be necessary.

It worked for me. It should work for you. Good luck.

Its my personal return, but the carryover credit was from the S-Corp via pass-thru

Yup; that's it! Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies