Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1120

My business shows a loss on Form 1120 but it shows up as income on my 1040. Turbo Tax will not let me change it to show a loss. How do I show a loss on 1040 from 1120?? Any help appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Form 1120

Do you mean a K-1 form from an 1120-S?  Because nothing from an 1120 C-Corporate return touches a personal form 1040. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 1120

if it is an 1120-S, there is an issue as to whether you are at risk  and have basis to take the loss.     these are questions we can't answer.   

Form 1120

Thanks. Still need to know why it is showing loss on 1120 as income on 1040. Can that be changed?? If so how?

Form 1120

You need to respond to @Critter 's question as this is key to responding.

Are you referring to a form 1120 (regular corporation) or an 1120-S (an S corporation).  If the later, you should also have received a schedule K-1.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Form 1120

S Corp

Form 1120

@dufferboy10 wrote:

S Corp

Now we are getting somewhere.

Another question would be whether the figure you are entering is from Line 1 of your K-1 (Ordinary business income (loss)). If so, ensure that you are entering a negative number (e.g., -10.000) in TurboTax as it is not a rare occurrence for users to enter that figure without a minus sign.

Form 1120

deleted

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Form 1120

Hello,

I have a question relating to this subject.

I have a loss in the year 2018 on 1120 S - Schedule K. Because of my higher income, the loss is not reducing my taxable income, therefore not reducing my liability on my personal taxes.

In order to carry the loss forward to the future years, will I have to include the Schedule K in 2018 tax return?

If I skip it, meaning not included the schedule K at all, Can I still include it in 2019 personal taxes?

Form 1120

@khanminaz1 wrote:

If I skip it, meaning not included the schedule K at all, Can I still include it in 2019 personal taxes?

This question was answered in the other thread you started,

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/i-have-a-s-corporation-loss-in-2018-can-...

You cannot elect not to enter the K-1 you receive with a tax year ending 2018 on your 2018 federal income tax return (Form 1040). You must enter your 2018 K-1 on your 2018 personal income tax return.

Form 1120

Got it, Thank you! Really appreciate the assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies