Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1045 & IT-40NOL

Hi,

I filed my  husband and I's taxes, which included his small business.  I followed the questionnaire about the business and ended up with like a 4500 loss.  I submitted my return and it said approved and we have gotten the refund it said.  I got a letter in the mail from the IRS asking for a "Form 1045, Schedule A & a IT-40NOL".  Everything that I look at shows this as if we are carrying the loss forward.  We did not do this and thought it would be netted against my income (I have a regular 8-5 job).  So I am not sure what to do...Can someone please help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Form 1045 & IT-40NOL

A net operating loss (NOL) occurs when the overall income is below zero. First take a look at your tax return for 2023 to see if your business loss carried to the 1040 and if you had positive income after it reduced your other income.  If you do not have a loss in income overall, you may need to seek the help of a professional to be sure you did complete your return correctly.  

A Form 1045 is used to amend a return when an net operating loss (NOL) is going to be carried back.  It can be complicated which is why I suggested a professional. The IRS Publication 536 provides details and worksheets if necessary in your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies