Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

User4983951
Returning Member

Final K1, LLC electing to be taxed as corporation

I am an employee of an LLC who issued equity incentives in the form of 'accelerated incentive units' (AIUs).  The AIUs act as units of ownership in a partnership of a similarly named holding company.  Each year, I receive a W-2 from 'Company LLC' due to my employment, and I receive a K-1 from 'Holding Company LLC' due to the granted AIU equity.  Each time new equity is granted, an 83(b) election is filed.  I am classified as a 'limited partner or other LLC member' on my K1s, and I have not provided any capital to the partnership in the form of money or property.

In 2021, the partnership ended because 'Holding Company LLC' elected to be taxed as a corporation instead of a partnership.  As a result, the AIUs have been converted into shares, and the K1 that I received is marked Final K1. 

So far, I have four years of K1s:

The first two K1s were blank. 

The third year K1 from 2020 listed:

• [Line K] Ending nonrecourse liabilities,
  • [Box 1] Large ordinary business loss,
  • [Box 5] Small interest income 
  • [Box 13] Tiny other deductions
  • [Box 18] Small non-deductable expenses
  • [Box 20] STMT: Section 199A data
  • No distributions. 

This ordinary business loss was mostly carried over as 'at-risk carryover loss' into 2021.

The fourth year Final K1 lists:

• [Line K] Beginning nonrecourse liabilities equal to last year ending.  Blank ending.
  • [Box 1] Large ordinary business loss again
  • [Box 5] Tiny interest income
  • [Box 9a] Huge long-term capital gain
  • [Box 13] Small other deductions
  • [Box 18] Small non-deductable expenses
  • [Box 20] STMT: Section 199A data
  • No distributions

The sum of the ordinary business losses from 2020 and 2021 are nearly equal to the 2021 long-term capital gain.  Equity holders were informed that everything should null out and result in a net zero tax implication, but received no further tax guidance.

Question 1:

Due to >500 hours of work each year at 'Company LLC', am I considered a material participant in 'Holdings Company LLC' for which I receive my K1?  How can I make this determination?  Company LLC will not provide guidance.

Question 2a:

Since this is the final K1 and my AIUs have been converted to shares, how do I describe my partnership disposal in TurboTax?

• [ ] No entry
  • [ ] Complete disposition
  • [ ] Disposition was not via a sale

Question 2b:

If the answer to Question 2 is 'Complete disposition', what is the disposition type?

• [ ] Sold Partnership Interest
  • [ ] Liquidated Partnership Interest

Question 3a:

If I select that I am a material participant OR I select complete disposition.  My tax burden goes significantly down.  I believe this is occurring because TurboTax is deducting the full ordinary business loss from my income, and adding the full long-term capital gains to my Schedule D.  Even though the of ordinary loss deduction is equal in amount to the long-term capital gain additions, the tax rates differ significantly, and therefore the final tax burden changes.  Is this the correct treatment?

Question 3b:

If I select that I am not a material participant OR I do not select complete disposition, my tax burden goes significantly up.  I believe this is occurring because TurboTax is disallowing the ordinary business loss deduction against my income, but adding the long-term capital gains to my Schedule D.   Is this the correct tax treatment?

Question 3c:

If neither 3a nor 3b are the correct tax treatment, what should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies