Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joe6

Ebay inventory change in filing question.for 2017

Please help...

I have a similar question to the thread posted previously:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4265672-ebay-sales-trying-to-figure-out-inventory-cost-of-goods-so...

In my case I started ebay in 2016 and had 0 starting inventory but put in an ending value of around $300 in my filing (perhaps this was a mistake).  I've come to realize that I have inventory on hand spanning more than one year now.  Most of it was paid for, but a few occasional items were free. 

I'd prefer to keep my inventory filing as simple as possible to keep myself from getting audited.  In 2017 I made around 23,000 in sales, but paid around $3300 for inventory.  Can I change how I'm claiming inventory (from the "cost" method) to an "expense" or similar since we didn't make a ton of money?  Tracking on hand inventory is difficult when we have had over 1000 items through out the year.  Any help appreciated.  Hopefully this made sense but if not, I'm happy to elaborate.  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Many folks do not understand how inventory works. So I'll do my best to explain it as simple as possible, in as few words as possible. While it's simple once you understand it, this can be rather difficult to explain. Capitalization is for emphasis on importance, and also because there are those who just can't seem to "get it" unless you beat it into them with a ball peen hammer. Since this is a public forum and many folks read these threads, those who do read our thread and have a hard time "getting it", can consider the capitals to be that hammer. 🙂

Also understand that what you pay for your inventory is not a deductible expenses until the tax year you actually sell that inventory. So if you purchased $1000 of inventory 10 years ago in 2007, and you sell that inventory ten years later in 2017, it's cost t hat you paid in 2007 is deductible in 2017 since that's the year you sold it.

So here's how inventory works on your taxes.

- Beginning of Year (BOY) Inventory - What *YOU* paid for the inventory in your physical possession on Jan 1 of the tax year. It flat out *DOES* *NOT* *MATTER* in what year that inventory was purchased. If this is your first year dealing with inventory, then your BOY Inventory balance *MUST* be zero. No if's, ands or buts about it. ZERO.

- End of Year (EOY) Inventory - What *YOU* paid for the inventory in your physical possession on Dec 31 of the tax year.

-Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) - What *YOU* paid for the inventory that you actually sold during the tax year. It flat out does not matter in what year you paid for that inventory either. So here's how this works with the math.

BOY Inventory - $0
COGS - $5000
EOY Inventory - $1000

The above indicates that you started the tax year with no inventory, and then you purchased $6000 of inventory in that same tax year. You also sold $5000 of that inventory during the tax year, leaving you a balance of $1000 at the end of the year.

BOY Inventory $1000
COGS - $2000
EOY Inventory - $4000

The above shows I started the year with $1000 of inventory. It also shows that I purchased an additional $5000 of inventory bringing the total inventory  in my possession during the tax year to $6000. THen I sold $2000 worth of inventory leaving me with $4000 of inventory at the end of the year.

One thing that is important here too if you don't want to be audited on this. The BOY inventory of a tax year *MUST* match the EOY inventory of the previous year. This is why in the first year you are dealing with inventory, your BOY inventory has to be ZERO. Since it's your first year dealing with inventory, there is no way on earth your business "ended last year" with more than zero.

joe6

Thanks for the reply, Carl.  There seems to be debate on this topic depending on who you talk with. How are we supposed to keep track of something paid for 10 years ago?  Just seems a bit unrealistic to track inventory that way especially for small time resellers like me. I’m open to more on this topic.
Carl
Level 15

Why would you maintain inventory for 10 years? Nobody in their right mind would do that. That's why things go "on sale" because they want to move old inventory to make room for the more modern inventory. That's why you won't find an auto parts dealer with parts "in stock" for a 1960 Ford Edsel.
cth444

This is the exact opposite of what Turbo Tax told me if I work on a Cash Basis
Carl
Level 15

Then either you were told wrong, or whoever told you the opposite did not understand your question. Must have been someone on telephone support @cjh444 because you have no other posts in this forum.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies