Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the work my daughter performed as an independent contractor satisfy the QBI deduction?

My daughter, an in-state student at a Virginia public university, provided research services for a Virginia LLC that had not previously employed her. The company would provide my daughter with a list of college graduates from other colleges and universities and tasked her with profiling each graduate based on their internet/networking/social media presence using her own equipment and Internet services and essentially no performance requirements other than to submit completed profiles when available.

The only information on my daughter’s Form 1099-NEC - Nonemployee Compensation was:

1. The Payer’s name, address, and federal identification number,
  2. My daughter’s name, address, and Social Security number, and
  3. $1,425.00 in Box 1: Nonemployee Compensation.

Qualified Business Income Requirements (2).jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Does the work my daughter performed as an independent contractor satisfy the QBI deduction?

Yes, this would qualify for the QBI deduction if she is filing as an self-employed independent contractor.  From the IRS:

QBI Component. This component of the deduction equals 20 percent of QBI from a domestic business operated as a sole proprietorship or through a partnership, S corporation, trust or estate. The QBI Component is subject to limitations, depending on the taxpayer’s taxable income, that may include the type of trade or business, the amount of W-2 wages paid by the qualified trade or business and the unadjusted basis immediately after acquisition (UBIA) of qualified property held by the trade or business. It may also be reduced by the patron reduction if the taxpayer is a patron of an agricultural or horticultural cooperative.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, this would qualify for the QBI deduction if she is filing as an self-employed independent contractor.  From the IRS:

QBI Component. This component of the deduction equals 20 percent of QBI from a domestic business operated as a sole proprietorship or through a partnership, S corporation, trust or estate. The QBI Component is subject to limitations, depending on the taxpayer’s taxable income, that may include the type of trade or business, the amount of W-2 wages paid by the qualified trade or business and the unadjusted basis immediately after acquisition (UBIA) of qualified property held by the trade or business. It may also be reduced by the patron reduction if the taxpayer is a patron of an agricultural or horticultural cooperative.

@MaryK4 

How does she file as a "self-employed independent contractor"?

Thanks!

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

When you enter the 1099-NEC information, you will be asked questions, then you will be able to enter the information for the Schedule C.  See Where do I enter Schedule C?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies