turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my 14 year old need to do taxes

does my 14 year old need to do tax return?  He made like $1,700 detasseling?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

A dependent (under age 19, or under age 24 if a full-time student) has to file a Federal return if:

-  Income (W2) is over $6,300

- Self-Employment income is over $400 (1099-misc)

- Unearned Income (Interest or dividend income) is over $1,050

States differ on filing requirements; you should check your State’s website for their filing requirements to determine if they need to file a State return.

Even if he does not need to file a return he may want to in order to get a refund for any taxes withheld from his 2015 wages.  If he does file a return when he enters his personal information on the screen Do Any of These Apply to (his name)? check the box "Someone else can claim (his name) on their tax return."

Hal_Al
Level 15

The IRS considers  undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400.
You may have to upgrade to the Home & Business version of TT. There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). For details, see <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901317-schedule-c-ez-net-profit-from-a-business">https://ttlc.int...>

You may want to switch to the download software, instead of online. You can do many returns for one fee and schedule C can be prepared & filed in the Deluxe edition.

@bluedeb - The unearned income threshold is up to $1050 for 2015

He has a W-2 but, didn't know if he needed to file where he earned roughly $1,070

Thanks Hal, I corrected my answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies