turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dissolving my husband's business and replacing it with a new one in my name -- how to handle Schedule C's, etc etc ???

When ending a business (unincorporated sole proprietorship with no employees or inventory), do we need to do anything other than check the box "I sold (or disposed of) my business in 2023"? For the question "did you dispose of the business in either of the following ways?" I selected "No" because we simply replaced it with another business. I am also wondering if this affects the vehicle and home office since we're using the exact same ones for the new business.

Here's the skinny:
My husband's cleaning business was a one-person operation. In May 2022 he retired and started collecting social security income and I took over the business. Because it's a sole proprietorship, he couldn't just transfer it into my name -- so I had to start a separate cleaning business (also an unincorporated sole proprietorship with no employees or inventory). Last year's tax return showed his business and mine as two separate Schedule C's because he earned income from his janitorial company until 4/30/22, and then beginning 5/1/22 I was the one earning income -- my new janitorial company. So ... do we just stop filing a schedule C for the old business beginning with the 2023 tax return? He has zero janitorial income and now zero expenses of course. (We report his social security income elsewhere in Turbo Tax.) He didn't sell the business to me, it dissolved and I started a different business in my name. The new janitorial business is taking expenses now for the exact same vehicle and home office as his old one. Business assets are just the home and new roof (which are depreciable), and the car. Nothing was changed to personal use. The 2022 info transferred over to this year's return in Turbo Tax.

Exactly what do we need to do in Turbo Tax to make sure we cross all our t's and dot all our i's? What do we tell the IRS, or do we need to? We're just not sure how it works and would be extremely grateful for any help figuring out how to properly handle this. Feel free to ask any clarifying questions if needed.

Thank you in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

dissolving my husband's business and replacing it with a new one in my name -- how to handle Schedule C's, etc etc ???

You're doing fine.  Just leave his schedule C off the return and put yours on there.  Make certain that all of the assets are still being depreciated exactly as before.  The depreciation transfers with them and has to be recaptured if they are sold.  If he had any expenses that he already took before he closed the business make sure that you aren't taking them again (like cleaning supplies he gave you and things like that).  

@waveromper 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so  much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies