Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Direct Transfer Between Trust Accounts

I am trustee for two trusts with the same beneficiary. The trusts hold identical mutual funds, ETFs, and cash. The custodian is Schwab. The trusts documents allow trusts to be merged. I would like to consolidate the accounts for ease of administration, so I only have to file one tax return, one accounting, etc. If I do a direct in-kind transfer from one trust to the other, does that trigger a taxable event? No assets are being sold, only transferred. What instructions should I give to Schwab?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Direct Transfer Between Trust Accounts

In general, if multiple trusts have similar terms and neither the trust agreement nor state law prohibit merging the trusts, then the trusts can usually be combined into one. Under section 417 of the Uniform Trust Code (UTC) a trustee, after giving notice to the qualified beneficiary, may combine two or more trusts into a single trust, “if the result does not impair rights of any beneficiary or adversely affect achievement of the purposes of the trust.”

The most likely instructions to the custodian would be to "merge" the trusts. However, the trustee should consult with the attorney who set up the trusts to confirm the merger is appropriate and legal.

See also UNIFORM TRUST CODE, page 76.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies