Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Determining Step-Up Basis for Rental Home that has sold

My mother who died in June 2023 owned a rental home that recently sold.    It seems natural to compute the step-up basis value (i.e., the value of the home at the time of my mom’s death) as the gross sale price less the cost of improvements that the estate incurred prior to the sale (and of course after my Mom’s death). 

Is this right?   I ask because computing the home basis in this way will result in a capital loss on the home sale equal to the closing costs that the estate paid when the home sold.   That seems too good to be true. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry for your loss. "It seems natural to compute the step-up basis value (i.e., the value of the home at the time of my mom’s death) as the gross sale price less the cost of improvements that the estate incurred prior to the sale (and of course after my Mom’s death)."  YES that's what is done. Yes there's usually a capital loss if sold shortly afterward due to closing costs involved. 

View solution in original post

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, when the estate files a final tax return, there are no carryover capital losses at the estate level. Instead, the entire capital loss carryover is allocated to the beneficiaries on Schedule K-1 Line 11 Code D (Final year deductions). This code denotes a long-term capital loss carryover.

See this discussion for more information: Solved: Reporting and Passing Capital Loss to Beneficiaries of Estate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sorry for your loss. "It seems natural to compute the step-up basis value (i.e., the value of the home at the time of my mom’s death) as the gross sale price less the cost of improvements that the estate incurred prior to the sale (and of course after my Mom’s death)."  YES that's what is done. Yes there's usually a capital loss if sold shortly afterward due to closing costs involved. 

I have a follow-up question.   It was agreed that an Estate selling a home will have a capital loss on the sale equal to the selling costs, which include commission paid to the selling and buying agents and tend to be large.  In my case, the selling costs were $78,000.

My question now is:  Can the Estate’s capital losses be passed through to beneficiaries of the Estate, so that the beneficiaries can carry the losses forward indefinitely and use them to offset gains?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, when the estate files a final tax return, there are no carryover capital losses at the estate level. Instead, the entire capital loss carryover is allocated to the beneficiaries on Schedule K-1 Line 11 Code D (Final year deductions). This code denotes a long-term capital loss carryover.

See this discussion for more information: Solved: Reporting and Passing Capital Loss to Beneficiaries of Estate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies