Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation on a home office

Is it possible to take a home office deduction without taking the depreciation part?  If I have an exclusion when I sell the home for $500k gain, will I still have to add back the depreciation even if it was not deducted on my tax return?

Or can I figure the depreciation on a longer period of time to make it less?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

you can't win by not taking depreciation because when you sell you have to claim 1250 recapture

the higher of allowed which would be zero because you didn't take any and allowable the amount you should have taken. You'll be paying taxes on a deduction you never took. 

see this link about simplified method - no depreciation is taken

FAQs - Simplified method for home office deduction | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

View solution in original post

3 Replies

With what I have researched, i did see the loophole of not deducting depreciation, but needing to understand the gain on the sale, versus the savings on the deduction, versus the reduced basis.  Lots of factors.

you can't win by not taking depreciation because when you sell you have to claim 1250 recapture

the higher of allowed which would be zero because you didn't take any and allowable the amount you should have taken. You'll be paying taxes on a deduction you never took. 

see this link about simplified method - no depreciation is taken

FAQs - Simplified method for home office deduction | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies