Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Barry34
Returning Member

Deleting phantom and random K-1s in Home and Business 2023

After initially answering I had "NO" K-1s of any sort in the Step-by Step feature, Smart Check would find one or two K-1s (a 1065 or 1120S etc).  TT will not let you bypass the small editing window unless you enter the name and EIN.  I went back to the Step-by-Step feature and again selected I have no K-1s. That failure prompted me to try fake names and EINs for the phantom K-1s.  Unfortunately (but credit due to the programmers of TT) it caught my attempted fraud and still would not move on from the Smart Check small editing window feature. I researched previous year ideas for removal, and they failed because without a name and EIN, the unknown K-1 would not present itself in the Forms lists on the left-hand side of the screen.  I finally stumbled upon using Smart Check to present the needed correction for an unnamed K-1 in the small editing window, and then leaving the Step-by-Step feature by immediately selecting the FORMs menu, whereby the form would appear as a full-page form ready for editing. At that point, you are able to use the Delete Form option at the bottom left of the form. This also works when a phantom or unrequested state K-1 appears during Smart Check. It's a bit cumbersome being forced back and forth between the Step-by Step option and Forms option, but after hours of researching and getting frustrated and unable to continue, it allowed me to finish.   Question for TT programmers, why do you present what you flag as quick fixes in a small window where it's hard to see and look at the context of the missing response? Can't we use the larger screen? If yes, I'd have been on my way to completing my taxes hours sooner. Having said that, I appreciate the effort and your product as it helps us navigate the myriad of tax laws and complex forms. Thanks. And now on to giving in to my request. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies