Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

De Minimis Safe Harbor Election even if I don't have an expense that normally would be depreciated.

My question relates to the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election.  In the past we have included this election with our taxes to expense some purchases that would normally have to be depreciated.  However, this year when I went through the turbo tax questions for this section it ended up that we don't have any purchases that would normally have to be depreciated (no large purchases) and therefore it did not attach the De Minimis Safe Harbor election to our tax return.

Is this okay?  Can it just be attached on the years that we need it? Or once we have it attached once should it always be there?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

De Minimis Safe Harbor Election even if I don't have an expense that normally would be depreciated.

Yes, you only need to make the election in the years you need it.

It is an annual tax return election.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much for your reply.  Just curious is there any harm in having it there every year whether we need it or not?  Thanks!

No, there is no harm in adding it every year.  I add it for all of my business clients, "just in case" something was missed or the IRS tried to re-categorize something.

Thanks so much!!! Have a great day!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies