Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Confused when figuring out my NOL manually, what belongs to Nonbusiness or Business Capital Losses/Gains?

I'm using the Worksheet 1- Figuring Your NOL in Pub 536 to calculate my NOL. When filling the number for Line 2/Line 3 "Nonbusiness capital losses/gains", and Line 11/12 "Business Capital Gains/Losses"- If I have 1040, Schedule 1, A, B, C, D, E, etc, which lines on which forms may contribute to the value of "Nonbusiness capital losses/gains" and "Business capital losses/gains"?

For example, my specific questions include:

1. Does W2 wage, interest income, etc count as "Nonbusiness capital gain"?

2. Does Line 31 Net Profit/loss in Schedule C count as "Business capital losses/gains"?

3. Does Line 7 and Line 15 Short-term/Long-term capital gain/loss in Schedule D count as "Nonbusiness capital losses/gains"?

4. Does K1 loss from S-corp and partnership count as "Business capital losses"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
M-MTax
Level 10

Confused when figuring out my NOL manually, what belongs to Nonbusiness or Business Capital Losses/Gains?

You've got to remember that capital gains and losses come from the sales of property whether the property is used in a business or not used in a business. So stuff like interest, net profit or loss would not be capital gains or losses. Example = sale of rental property would be a business capital gain or loss.....sale of stock usually is a nonbusiness capital gain or loss.

K-1 losses could be counted or not depending on which line they're on and whether you materially participate or not.

Take a look at the examples below the worksheet on the IRS Pub.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies