Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hyeqt85

Confused on where the blended tax rate of 16.4% is coming from when I should be at a 12% for 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Confused on where the blended tax rate of 16.4% is coming from when I should be at a 12% for 2018.

Different sources of income are taxed at different rates. For example (one of many) if you sell rental property the recaptured depreciation is taxed at a minimum of 15% and a maximum of 25% regardless of what tax bracket you may fall in to.

Likewise, your earned income (reported on W-2) is taxed incrementally. For example, for a person filing single the first $9,525 is taxed at 10%. Then from $9,526 to $38,700 is taxed at 12%. Then from $38,701 to $82,500 is taxed at 22%.

So if you earned $60K on a W-2 for the entire tax year, the taxes on that will be $9,139 and the "blended" tax rate will be 15.2%

hyeqt85

Thank you so much for your response Carl! How does this work out if I haven’t sold any type of properties. My income also isn’t above 38k so I’m really just confused all around.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies