Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rajasaab
Returning Member

Computer for Business (S Corp)

Hello

So i recently started my own business and registered it as an S Corp. I already had a computer and other technology peripherals that i started using for my business now. I do not have the receipts for them anymore but now i use the computer mostly for my business. Can I expense/deduct the cost of the computer and other items?

- RS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Computer for Business (S Corp)

Yes, you can depreciate a computer that was put into service, even if you used it personally previously. If you convert personal property to business use, the basis will be the lower of: the fair market value at the time of the conversion, or. the cost plus any additions or improvements, and minus any deducted casualty losses, up to the time of the conversion.

Converted property

Regarding bonus depreciation:

The definition of property eligible for 100 percent bonus depreciation was expanded to include used qualified property acquired and placed in service after Sept. 27, 2017, if all the following factors apply:

• The taxpayer or its predecessor didn’t use the property at any time before acquiring it.
  • The taxpayer didn’t acquire the property from a related party.
  • The taxpayer didn’t acquire the property from a component member of a controlled group of corporations.
  • The taxpayer’s basis of the used property is not figured in whole or in part by reference to the adjusted basis of the property in the hands of the seller or transferor.
  • The taxpayer’s basis of the used property is not figured under the provision for deciding basis of property acquired from a decedent.
  • Also, the cost of the used property eligible for bonus depreciation doesn’t include the basis of property determined by reference to the basis of other property held at any time by the taxpayer (for example, in a like-kind exchange or involuntary conversion).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies