Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AFR124
Returning Member

Closing a schedule c business due to retirement

I am retiring and closing my business. All assets will be converted to personal use. I've gone through each asset and marked it for special handling. However, when I get to the home office it's asking for a sales price. There is no sales since it's being converted to personal use. What do I enter here? If I enter 0 I show a loss on schedue 1 that appears to be the difference between basis and depreciation taken. Is this correct? Also, I have expenses not deducted in prior years ( operating expenses and depreciation not allowed.) What happens to these if I closed the business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Home Office Expense carryovers are available as long as you stay in business. Once the business closes (and you no longer have a home office), the carryovers are lost.

Unless you sold the residence where you had a home office, do not report a "sale." Instead, edit the property on the Home Asset Summary page. On the page "Did you stop using this asset in 20XX?" answer Yes. Enter the date you stopped using it as a home office. Continue to the page "Disposition of this home office" and the question "Did you actually sell your home in 20xx?" Answer NO. This will avoid any questions about sales price.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AFR124
Returning Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I did answer the questions as you suggested, however, this leads to a "loss" on form 4797 which then transfers to schedule 1 and then to the 1040. This significantly reduces my gross income. The loss is the exact amount of my original basis - deprection to date. Is this correct? It's like taking a deprection deduction after the business is closed.

Also, I'm using TurboTax Deluxe, not business and farm.

AFR124
Returning Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I did answer the questions as you suggested, however, this leads to a "loss" on form 4797 which then transfers to schedule 1 and then to the 1040. This significantly reduces my gross income. The loss is the exact amount of my original basis minus deprection to date. Is this correct? 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you converted the vehicle to personal use, there should be no loss on this activity. Use the remaining basis (cost less depreciation) as the sales price so the net gain/loss is zero.

@AFR124 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AFR124
Returning Member

It wasn't a vehicle it was the home office I was having issues with. Apparently you can't use the back button to correct the answers to the required questions. I ended up deleting the entire tax return and starting over - a lot of extra time and effort but it worked.  Thanks for trying to help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies