turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Closing a business and retaining asset for personal use

I have been operating a quilting business (single member LLC) for several years. My quilting machine has been deducted as a section 179 expense, offsetting business income. I closed my business at the end of last year, but continue to use the machine for personal projects. Turbotax is claiming all of the remaining depreciation as a business expense in 2023, which results in a large business loss deduction. Is this correct?    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, when did you start using the quilting machine and when did you claim the 179 deduction? Was the quilting machine used since you started the business and did you take the deduction then or just claimed it this year?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I started using the machine in 2018 when I started the business. I have been taking the 179 deduction each year, limited by net income from the business, so there has been a carryover each year. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends on the useful life of the asset.  You must indicate your asset was converted to personal use in the asset itself under your self employment activity, then TurboTax knows the recapture procedure.  If you have already exhausted the recovery period that was set up, then you will not have any recapture until you sell your quilting machine.

• Recovery Period = the number of years the asset would have been depreciated.  You should see this in your current tax return.

IRS Publication 946

You may have to recapture the section 179 deduction if, in any year during the property's recovery period, the percentage of business use drops to 50% or less. In the year the business use drops to 50% or less, you include the recapture amount as ordinary income in Part IV of Form 4797. You also increase the basis of the property by the recapture amount.

@themurrells  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies