Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Lease Asset

How do I enter a capital lease asset in TurboTax business?  Do I enter the total cost of the asset? 1120S

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Capital Lease Asset

Yes.  It's amortizing the cost over the five year length of the lease.  So for the last year you'll actually pay more than you'll deduct.  

@Countingcat 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Capital Lease Asset

If the lease term is less than 12 months, you don't include the asset on your balance sheet. Lease payments are recorded as rental expenses.

However, if the lease runs for more than a year, you report the asset under Business Assets with a corresponding Liability. In this case, rent payments reduce the liability balance, with interest expense recorded separately. The Asset is depreciated as usual.

You can compute the interest expense by multiplying the applicable rate to the outstanding balance of your lease liability. 

Capital Lease Asset

I have everything in Quickbooks ok. I just was wondering how to list and depreciate it in Turbotax.

Capital Lease Asset

Here are the details.

Printer total cost is $70,800

Lease term is 60 months

Total payments so far = $3540

Adding the fixed asset at total cost to TurboTax produces a depreciation of $14,160.

Is that ok considering it is well over the amount paid thus far?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Capital Lease Asset

Yes.  It's amortizing the cost over the five year length of the lease.  So for the last year you'll actually pay more than you'll deduct.  

@Countingcat 

Capital Lease Asset

Can I confirm that in a “Capital lease” for tax purposes the property is treated as an asset for the lease(tenant) and they get to depreciate it on their taxes, and deduct interest on payments. Would they also deduct the property tax paid for the property? Or would the Lessor deduct that? 

and on the lessor's (original owner) side they report only the interest received from the lease? Do they report the rest of the payment received anywhere. And do they get to deduct the interest they have on their original loan for the property? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies