Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can Self Employment tax FUTA & SUTA paid be reported as estimated tax paid in "other taxes" category in Turbotax for personal return (1040)?

I received most of my income from 1099NEC or 1099misc as a sole proprietor.  In 2020, I had a CPA filed for FUTA & SUTA (Federal & state unemployment tax)  in Form 940 & 941 for myself. 

Some information I read in the forum said that these prepaid FUTA & SUTA tax would be entered as Estimated tax paid under the "other taxes" category of Turbotax when filing for the 1040 personal return.  

Can anyone comment on this?  

Also, the FUTA and SUTA were filed with a federal EIN I applied for whereas my personal estimated tax paid was probably associated with my Social security #; would that be a problem in the IRS or state system not recognizing the FUTA in my personal return?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Can Self Employment tax FUTA & SUTA paid be reported as estimated tax paid in "other taxes" category in Turbotax for personal return (1040)?

The federal and state unemployment taxes are not associated with your personal tax return, except with respect to the fact that they are deductible as expenses against your business income reported on schedule C.

They should not be entered as estimated taxes, since that would mean they would be applied towards your personal income tax, which is not allowed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies