Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I report income previously reported on Schedule C as “other income” (occasional income)?

Since 2018 I have been reporting direct sales income on Schedule C. I intended to pursue this activity to earn a profit. However, things didn't go as expected and finally in 2021 decided not to pursue this activity as a business. I received a commission of $120. Can I stop filing Schedule C and report the $120 commission as "other income" (occasional income)?

Note: My husband and I file jointly (MFJ). He is self-employed and he reports his business income on Schedule. C.

Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Can I report income previously reported on Schedule C as “other income” (occasional income)?

No, if the commission was reported on a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC you need to file a Schedule C.  To report it as other income when it is directly related to a business activity would not be correct.  If this is your only income to report it is well below the $400 threshold for self-employment tax.  Also as your husband files a Schedule C, you do not have to upgrade to a higher level of TurboTax to file your Schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Thank you for your prompt response!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, if the commission was reported on a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC you need to file a Schedule C.  To report it as other income when it is directly related to a business activity would not be correct.  If this is your only income to report it is well below the $400 threshold for self-employment tax.  Also as your husband files a Schedule C, you do not have to upgrade to a higher level of TurboTax to file your Schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your prompt response!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies