Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OlyA

Business Health Insurance Deduction for Catastrophic Marketplace Plan (with no 1095-A)

I am self-employed (sole prop). No employer/no W2 income, and I do not have any other health insurance available to me through employer/spouse etc.

For 2019 I had a Catastrophic health insurance plan that I purchased through my state marketplace (WA). This is not a Bronze, Silver or Gold plan, just a "catastrophic". 

I did not receive a 1095-A from the marketplace, and was told it was because the plan does not meet the ACA standards, and is therefore not eligible for health insurance subsidies through the ACA. I did get a 1095-B from the health insurance provider, but it looks like that doesn't need to be filed anywhere. 

I have a few questions:

- Do I need to file anything in Turbotax relating to health insurance? If so, where?

- Is this technically a "marketplace" plan, even though it doesn't meet ACA standards?

- Likewise, can I use my premium payments for the Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction?

My understanding is that marketplace plans are not usually eligible for the small business health insurance deduction, as per Turbotax's guidance:

"You can deduct up to 100% of health insurance premiums for you, your spouse and your dependents if you are self-employed and have a net profit from the business for which you created the plan.

Include health insurance premiums you made for your dependents who were under age 27 at the end of 2019.

Do not include health insurance purchased through a Health Insurance Marketplace (also known as an exchange). These premiums are entered on Form 1095-A in the program."

But is this really a Marketplace plan, if I didn't get a 1095-A? 

Thanks for the help! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Business Health Insurance Deduction for Catastrophic Marketplace Plan (with no 1095-A)

Yes, you can enter the premiums you paid for your Health Insurance as a self-employment expense.

It does not have to be a Marketplace plan with a 1095-A.  Any amounts paid for any type of Health Insurance are included. 

You don't need to enter any Health Insurance info into TurboTax, since you don't have a 1095-A and the health insurance penalty no longer exists.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
OlyA

Thank you. Why does the turbotax guidance say not to include marketplace plans, though? "Do not include health insurance purchased through a Health Insurance Marketplace (also known as an exchange). These premiums are entered on Form 1095-A in the program."

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Because the 1095-A is entered in a different area of the program, then linked to Schedule C.

It's under Deductions & Credits. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies