Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business did not issue me a 1099 even though I made over $600. How do I handle this on my taxes?

I work as a independent contractor to a business that told me they were not submitting 1099's.  I am not sure how to handle this on my taxes.  I am not sure how much I made and they are not being very helpful. I do not have their EIN either. I have lived in 2 states this past year and when I tried entering the info with out the EIN it took away from the wrong state.  Help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmandaR1

Business did not issue me a 1099 even though I made over $600. How do I handle this on my taxes?

You don't need to get a 1099 to report your income and you shouldn't try to enter the information in forms in the software. Just like a convenience store reports sales from it's customers, you can report your self-employed income (even if you only have one client).

When you're self-employed, you don't need to report the source of your income (like when you're an employee with W-2s); unless you're issued a 1099. So be sure not to duplicate income on your form 1099s (if any), with the general income you enter in the software.

You are correct to recognize that the company probably should be filing you the 1099, but only if your pay is a deductible tax expense for them. Either way, you've tried and done your part.

To enter your self-employed income:

1. Login and click 'Take me to my return'
  2. Next, select the 'Federal Taxes' tab and then click the 'Wages & Income' tab below it (if shown "I'll choose what I work on" click it)
  3. Scroll down to the 'Self-Employment' section and click the blue hyperlink 'Show more'
  4. Select 'Start/Update' next to 'Income & Expenses'
  5. Next, you'll be on the summary screen for your self-employed work. If you already started entering this work, you'll see the business listed and can click Edit. Otherwise, you'll be asked questions about your self-employed work.
  6. Then, you'll be at a screen that says 'Here's your info for this work', scroll down and click 'Add income for this work' and you'll be able to select 'Additional Income'. Here you can enter work not reported on a 1099-misc.

If you have a 'Business' tab instead of 'Federal Taxes' tab the instructions will be a little bit different, so please let me know. Note: this will only happen when you have some large less common business expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies