Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

d66
Level 3

BUG in NY State IT-205 Turbotax for Business

Hello. It's me again.

There seems to be a bug in Turbotax for Business, Trust, IT-205, New York Fiduciary Information Worksheet.

Specifically, the length of the "Estate or Trust Name" field.

Mine happens to be 42 characters. I counted them.

You can use this as a reference:

ABCDEFGHIJABCDEFGHIJABCDEFGHIJABCDEF TRUST

The bug is as follows:

The field length seems to be fine with every other place the trust name is requested (and there are many) EXCEPT for the aforementioned New York Fiduciary Information Worksheet. Only on the New York Fiduciary Information Worksheet does it complain about the Trust Name length.

The problem is, once you're in final review, which is where Turbotax finally gets around to complaining about the length.... wait for it.... YOU CAN NOT EDIT THE FIELD!

Impossible. Try it.

You try to override it, it circles back and complains again.

What is the maximum length limit, if I may be so bold as to ask? And why isn't it checked at the get-go, at the Federal level? That would be sooo much easier.

Oh and by the way - I downloaded the IT-205 Fill In form from the NY State Department of Taxation, and they don't seem to have a problem with the trust name length.

So what's your problem, Turbotax? Just trying to make tax season so much more enjoyable, are ya?

I got this message that I find laughable:

"Reviewing your return..... We recommend that you check for any product updates before you finalize this return."

Well speaking as a former software developer, I recommend that you test your software before you release it. Or has testing gone out of style?

Next time I'll be sure to ask my attorney to shorten the trust name so it can fit in Turbotax's little boxes. Or maybe I'll ask my brother to shorten his name for you. So sorry, I do apologize profusely.

Tell ya what, since I've gotten so much practice at mindlessly transcribing 1099-B info that should have been imported automatically, this being the year 2024, why don't I go ahead and transcribe the state info into the State's fill in PDF forms, and then you can give me a refund for the $50 I spent on the state software that I cannot use to e-file! I like that idea.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies